I have baked many types of chocolate cake, but no chocolate cake recipe can touch the absolute delight and rich flavour of the buttermilk chocolate sheet cake. Sheet cakes turns out perfect every time. They are never dry, always perfectly moist.Perfect to transport so great for school bake sales, parties, and picnics. You can bake, frost, cut and transport sheet cakes in the same tin. How much easier can it get?
Anyway let’s get back to my irresistibly delicious Buttermilk chocolate sheet cake recipe. This recipe is a real winner, from the delightful aroma of it baking that fills your home, to the satisfying taste which fills your tummy, this recipe is a keeper.
The chocolate icing also has buttermilk in it. This gives the icing the most stunning and silky look. It is so amazingly beautiful.
There are just three steps in the preparation of this cake.
First boil together water, 250ml butter or margarine, 60ml cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of instant coffee. Remove from the heat.
Second,add 2 cups of white sugar, 2 cups of cake flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to the above mixture. Do not overmix. I used a hand blender on low-speed for about 40 seconds. This was to break any flour lumps… Yes I’m guilty of never putting the flour through the sieve first. And this is the reason my blender is my favourite appliance and in my kitchen.?
Last add 2 lightly whisked eggs, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. beat until it is all well combined. Bake in a rectangular or square tin for about 35-40 minutes at 180.
I know that many people use a swiss roll tin to bake sheet cakes, but I prefer using the same glass dish, in which i bake lasagna, to bake sheet cakes. I find that it has the perfect ratio of cake to icing. The dish which I use is a glass rectangular dish which is 35 X 22 cm and is 4cm deep.
As you see, there is a tablespoon of coffee added to the cake. The coffee is actually added to enhance the flavour of the cocoa. This gives the cake a very chocolatey taste, and not a coffee taste.
So here goes… The best buttermilk chocolate sheet cake recipe
- For the Cake
- 250ml water
- 250g butter or margarine
- ¼ cup / 60 ml cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon / 15ml instant coffee
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups cake flour / all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp / 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- ½ cup / 125ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp / 5ml vanilla essence
- For the Icing
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar (yes it is a good idea to sift the icing sugar, otherwise there would be these little white lumps in the chocolate icing,and this will spoil the silky look of your icing.
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 90ml melted butter or margarine
- For the Cake:
- Start by preheating the oven to 180°C
- In a medium sizes saucepan, add the water, butter or margarine, cocoa powder and coffee and bring to the boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat once the mixture is boiling and add the sugar, flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and mix until all the ingredients are well combined, making sure that you do not overmix.
- To this mixture,add the whisked eggs,buttermilk and vanilla essence. Mix until smooth and creamy
- Pour the mixture into a greased, baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- For the Icing:
- Once the cake has cooled, mix all the icing ingredients together until smooth and creamy
- Pour the icing evenly over the cake.