How about starting your weekend with this hearty Country Style Breakfast, perfect for a Saturday or Sunday on the patio. A delicious combination of spinach, mushrooms, potatoes and red pepper topped with sunny side up eggs and parmesan makes this one our favourite weekend breakfast. Oh and lets not forget, the delicious crusty french bread to mop it all up with.
This is a really simple, flavourful breakfast to prepare, all made in one frying pan! You know, the first time I made this breakfast, I just prepared it in a smallish frying pan, you know when you are just testing a recipe and not too sure of how all the flavours will go together. Well that was a big big mistake, because it was wiped out by my husband and kids before it could reach the table and so it was back to the stove again for round 2…. this time I used the biggest frying pan I have in my kitchen.. so just a word of advice, when making this recipe, expect requests/demands for second and maybe 3rd helpings.
If you are a regular reader of my posts, you will know that I love cooking and growing spinach. Some of my recipes like Mini Tramezzini with Creamed Spinach, Feta and Sweet Pepper , and Creamy spinach and mushroom lasagne have spinach in them because my garden is never without it. It grows all year-long and I am always creating or looking for recipes to use it in. So this recipe is no different, but if you do not have spinach, a really good substitute in this recipe will be kale or spring cabbage.
Red bell pepper is also an ingredient I love to use, it just adds that tangy sweetness to a recipe, but there were times that I did not have any red bell pepper in the fridge, and what I found as a great substitute was cherry tomatoes. So be free and have fun with this recipe, it is very versatile and easy to substitute an ingredient.
Making the Country Style Breakfast
This is quiet an indulgent breakfast and that is why, I prefer serving it on the weekend. The potatoes in this recipe are sliced, deep-fried and set aside. and then are added just 5 minutes before the mushrooms, pepper and spinach is cooked. The eggs are cracked over the cooked vegetables and cooked until just set. If you prefer the yolks runny, then cook until the whites are set. Or if you prefer well done eggs then just turn down the heat a bit and cook with the pan covered and cook to your preference. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm with buttered french bread
Perfect way to start your weekend, don’t you think….. OH and do not forget the coffee!
Have a great weekend.
- 30 ml oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder( optional)
- 3 medium potatoes fried and drained
- 250g brown or white button mushrooms
- 100g chopped spinach
- small red bell pepper, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 10g grated parmesan
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Deep fry potatoes and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat 30 ml oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the chopped mushrooms and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Chop the spinach roughly and stir it in with the mushrooms and pepper. Cook until the spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes. You can cook it longer if you prefer the spinach to be softer and not so crispy. Add chilli powder if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in the fried drained potatoes and mix in gently to avoid breaking the potatoes too much.
- Crack eggs over cooked vegetables and cook until just set.
- If you prefer the yolks runny, then cook until the whites are set. Or if you prefer well done eggs then just turn down the heat a bit and cook with the pan covered and cook to your preference. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve warm with buttered french bread