I really could not think of any other way to describe this cake other than Delightfully Decadent Carrot Cake. Because that is what it is. delightfully moist. decadent, rich, and definitely not a regular carrot cake recipe. This will no doubt make an excellent celebration cake. So if you are baking a cake for any special occasion, this is a great recipe for the cake.
What I really love about carrot cakes is just how timeless and classic they are. Just like the beautiful victoria sponge, stunning marble cakes and the gorgeous red velvet cake, the carrot cake will always be a timeless masterpiece. Recipes for carrot cake is passed down many generations in a family or through friends, sometimes it is altered along the line or it stays intact. Isn’t it fascinating how some recipes can live forever?
There are also many “disputes” about which ingredients are a MUST for the perfect carrot cake. Some argue that it has to contain pecans or raisins. I think that it is really up to you to decide which flavouring ingredients you prefer. The most important factor for me in a carrot cake recipe is that it has to be moist …..NOT DRY. And even more important the cream cheese frosting….has to be perfectly smooth and not too sweet. This recipe delivers just that! This recipe uses golden syrup which adds to the decadence and flavour of the carrot cake…..it is really amazing.
I have used the same recipe to bake a double layer cake…like the ones in th pictures, I have used it to make a sheet cake and cupcakes or muffins( without the frosting) . So you decide in whichever way you choose to use this recipe because it will always turns out perfect. So happy baking and I would really love to hear how far back your recipe for carrot cake goes.
- 340 g / 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 ml / ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5ml / 1 teaspoon ml salt
- 4 large eggs
- 200ml / ¾ cup sunflower oil
- 225 g / ¾ cup brown sugar
- 125 ml / ½ cup golden syrup
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 60 g / ¼ cup pecans ( optional)
- ½ cup raisins ( optional)
- 100 g butter or margarine, softened
- 125 g full fat cream cheese or creamed cottage cheese
- 500 ml / 2 cups icing or confectioners sugar, sifted
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chopped pecans to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. / 325°F / Gas mark 3
- FOR THE CARROT CAKE:
- Grease and line 2 X 23cm round cake tin / rectangular tin( like the one used for lasagna) or muffin tin , and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, spices, bicarb, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, oil, sugar and syrup.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk or beat well until there are no lumps.
- Add in the carrot and the nuts and raisins( if using) and pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes until a skewer or knife inserted comes away clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning it out, and allow to cool completely before icing.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING / FROSTING
- Beat the butter or margarine until light and smooth.
- Add the cream cheese or creamed cottage cheese and beat until they are combined.
- Add in the icing sugar and the lemon luice and mix gently.
- Once combined spread the icing on the top and sides of the cake as desired.
- Decorate with a few extra nuts if using
Level the top of the cake by slicing a bit off the top before icing or frosting.