The absolute ultimate comfort food, and it can’t get any better than this Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese. I have tried many mac and cheese recipes, some end up dry and bland no matter how much of seasoning I use and others too mushy. So this is my favourite ,ticking all the boxes for perfect mac and cheese ……
- Never dry
- It is full of flavour and never bland
- Never ever like ever (sorry, just listening to Taylor Swift 🙂 mushy and
- The sauce is perfectly smooth, glossy and creamy, although there is not a drop of cream added to this recipe
The reason, this mac and cheese is so good is that the macaroni is boiled in a mixture of milk and water, not just water, and it is not drained after cooking. As it boils, it releases the starch into the milk and water. So the starch helps to thicken the sauce creating the perfect creamy bechamel sauce which perfectly coats the macaroni.
This recipe is really quick to prepare, so this is a great one for when you get home late from work or just not in the mood of cooking a meal which takes an hour to prepare and an hour of cooking time. I mean this Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese is just that Easy,Quick, taking under half an hour to prepare and cook, and makes a delicious hearty lunch or dinner.
Making the Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese
The macaroni is basically added a mixture of white sauce and water. It is cooked for about 10 minutes. Remember that you have to stir it every few minutes to ensure that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot. When the pasta is almost done, you know tender but still firm, remove it from the heat and stir in your grated cheese. The sauce which the pasta is in should still be runny. This is because the pasta will continue cooking and the sauce will continue thickening when it is removed off the stove. Try to serve immediately after cooking, but I have found that even after an hour after cooking, it is still really delicious, the sauce may have almost completely absorbed into the macaroni but it still has this smooth silky texture and taste to it.
So try out this recipe next time you are in the mac and cheese mood and I will love to know how it turned out.
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 2½ cups water
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (optional seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by melting butter or margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add flour. If you are using onion and mustard powder, then add it now and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and mix into butter and flour mixture and stir until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Pour in the water and add salt and pepper.
- Stir in the macaroni and mix. Stir as it starts to bubble and tun down the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes until tender but firm. Remember that the macaroni continues cooking and the sauce thickens even after it has been removed from the stove.
- Remove from the stove and mix in the grated cheese.
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley if you like.
- Serve immediately.