Leftover Toast Cups is a terrific way to glam up food left from yesterdays braai or barbecue and makes a delicious breakfast or snack.
Quick and easy snack recipe hunting is a forever thing with me….WHY? Because there are three males in my home, my two sons and my husband…who are always searching the fridge or biscuit tins for “something’ so this makes a really great ‘something’, don’t you think?
Best thing is that it is super easy to prepare. I love this recipe because the filling is not limited to just one filling. I mean you can really let your imagination run wild with possible fillings here. You could even prepare a quick filling if you don’t have any leftovers, something like fried sausages in barbecue sauce. So you see, this is a really adaptable snack.Try using slightly older bread if you have any. I usually remove the crust from the bread as it makes it easier to shape into the muffin tin.
Making the Leftover Toast Cups
Fill the cups with the filling of your choice, top with chopped or halved cherry tomatoes, spring onions and maybe crumble some feta if you like. Pour whisked egg and milk over to cover. Sprinkle salt and pepper. And its ready to bake for 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy these for breakfast or a delicious snack…… or both.
- 12 slices of white or brown bread
- 15ml margarine
- leftover meat , vegetarian or meat sausages
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Preferably cut off th crusts
- Spread a little margarine on one side and place buttered side down into a muffin tin
- Divide the filling between the cups.
- Top with grated cheese,tomatoes, chives and feta
- Whisk together the eggs and milk, season to taste and pour evenly over each cup.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs have set and the toat is golden brown.