Take your cupcake baking to the next level with these ice cream flavour Neapolitan Cupcakes. Gorgeous little cakes, perfect for a bridal shower, baby shower or a party centerpiece, bound to totally impress your guests.
I know that some of you are heading towards the colder months now, but hey you can still enjoy the classic Neapolitan ice cream flavours….in a cupcake. Half chocolate flavoured and half vanilla flavoured and then topped with a swirl of strawberry and vanilla frosting. Now can you say no to that?
This has always been my favourite ice cream, but I must admit , I love the chocolate part a wee bit more than the vanilla and strawberry. So instinctively or (purposely😉) I added in a bit more of the chocolate batter. Hey its CHOCOLATE can you blame me😋.
Now this can be done in two ways, you can either layer the chocolate and vanilla batter or place it side by side in the muffin cup, like I have done here.Both have a beautiful effect , just decide o how you prefer it to look. Once baked allow to cool and ge to the fun ( and highly delicious part)…the frosting.
I have become obsessed at the beauty of two toned frosting, it is so outstanding. I had to try it out, and it is really simple. I prefer to use disposable bags for frosting cakes and cookies. Don’t you find it easier. I am way too tired ( and lazy) to wash frosting from a cloth bag after baking.
Introducing Kitchen Basics
You can check out the detailed method for making two toned frosting here in a new part of my blog Kitchen Basics. This is my first post in this section and I am so excited to share little snippets of tips, ideas and basic ‘how to make that’ in this new area of my blog. It is little things I have learned to do and love to share it with you as well. I hope that you enjoy the new content.
So let’s get to the Neapolitan Cupcakes recipe
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 140g / 1 cup cake / all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 140g margarine or butter, softened
- 140g castor sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon / 15ml milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder mixed to a paste with 1½ teaspoon hot water
- FROSTING ( SEE NOTE I)
- 100g softened butter or margarine
- 500g icing sugar
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 20ml milk
- 1 teaspoon smooth strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place 12 paper cases in a muffin tray.
- Beat margarine and sugar
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls.
- Beat the vanilla extract and milk into 1 of the bowls and the cocoa powder paste into the other bowl.
- Place alternate teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING: (SEE NOTE 1)
- Cream butter and icing sugar together.
- Add enough milk to make a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls and stir in strawberry jam and a little pink food colouring into one of the bowls.
- Add vanilla essence to the white frosting in the other bowl
- Place alternate spoonfuls of the frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a nozzle you prefer..
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.