Spiced Tomato Soup with Grilled smoked Mozzarella and Basil Sandwiches has been one of the foods comforting me this past week and a half while being bogged down by an extremely awful flu.? You know I hardly ever get the flu, but when I do, its like the flu virus looking at me and saying “Hey,you’ve been hiding from me?, now just for that feel the full wrath of my virus.” I had it all, achy muscles, sore throat, coughs and sneezes and a headache which refused to leave despite the millions of painkillers and antibiotics I had to take.
Having to take antibiotics required that I had to eat something before taking the antibiotic. I am sure that you know awful it is to eat anything when you are ill so this is where my recipe came to my rescue.
In my last post SWEET CHILLI MACARONI WITH SMOKED MOZZARELLA , I was raving on about my new obsession with smoked mozzarella, so here I paired it in a sandwich with basil and this scrumptious Spiced Tomato Soup and the combination was mind blowingly AMAZING!!! It honestly makes the most delicious comfort flu food. The spiciness in this recipe is perfect for the flu chills and sore throat. And then comes the Grilled smoked Mozzarella and Basil Sandwiches dipped into the soup….people, you have got to try this! Actually my first idea was to add herbed croutons to the soup but then decided to substitute it with my favourite grilled cheese and basil sandwich, and I am telling you, this is something else…it is so delicious.
You could use canned or fresh tomatoes for this recipe, I have tried both and they taste great either way. For this time however, I decided to use baby Italian tomatoes, and it has a sweet spicy tang to it. That is what I love about baby tomatoes, they are hardly ever have that acidic taste. Also I find that they are the easiest type of tomato to grow and I always have tons of them growing in my garden. Just use what you have,this is a very easy and adaptable recipe
Spiced Tomato Soup is good for you
Besides tasting so absolutely amazing, this soup and sandwich is actually good for you during an illness.
- Tomatoes are loaded in antioxidants and vitamins A and C.
- The garlic in the soup has great antiviral and flu fighting properties ( and I went through tons of it…but you can cut it down if you prefer)
- The spiciness in the soup actually helps relieve congestion.
- And Sweet Basil ….don’t even get me started on this herb, I love everything about it. Its aroma, its delicious taste, its beautiful glossy leaves and flowers, its fly and mosquito repelling capabilities and so much more. But this time I really loved how it helped relieve my sore throat and cough. If you would like to grow it in your garden or even a little pot on your kitchen windowsill, see my post on Propagating Sweet Basil It is very simple to grow and has so many uses…you will love it.
Okay, now that we are done with the little biology lesson?, let’s get down to the Tomato soup recipe and the best part……devouring it all with your grilled cheese sandwich.
I know that you are going to love it….Enjoy ♥
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic add garlic to your taste preference
- ½ chopped onion
- 400 g chopped Italian tomatoes or 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped celery optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon peri peri or cayenne pepper
- chilli flakes and freshly ground pepper to garnish
- FOR THE CHEESE AND BASIL GRILLED SANDWICH
- 2 slices brown or white bread
- ¼ cup grated smoked mozzarella
- 8 small fresh sweet basil leaves
Heat oil in a pot and add the chopped garlic,onion and celery.
Cook until soft, for about 10 minutes
Add in the chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes and the peri peri spice or cayenne pepper and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until softened and cooked. Stir occasionally.
Sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
Allow to cool for a while before blitzing in a blender until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and garnish with chilli flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
FOR THE CHEESE AND BASIL GRILLED SANDWICH
Add grated cheese and fresh basil leaves onto a slice of bread. Cover with the other slice and toast or grill each side on a pan until golden brown.
Serve immediately with the soup.